Homeland Security Network Blog

The information source for first responders.

  • Home
    Home This is where you can find all the blog posts throughout the site.
  • Categories
    Categories Displays a list of categories from this blog.
  • Archives
    Archives Contains a list of blog posts that were created previously.
Posted by on in Terrorism
  • Font size: Larger Smaller
  • Hits: 422
  • Print

Al-Shabab Claims Responsibility for Deadly Truck Bombing in Somali Capital

b2ap3_thumbnail_Screenshot_2019-12-31-Al-Shabab-Claims-Responsibility-for-Deadly-Bombing-in-Somali-Capital.png

Voice of America

Al-Shabab Claims Responsibility for Deadly Truck Bombing in Somali Capital

By Harun Maruf

The al-Shabab militant group claimed responsibility for Saturday's truck bomb attack in Mogadishu, which killed at least 80 people and wounded 78 others.

The official spokesman for the group, Ali Mohamud Rageh, known as Ali Dhere, made the statement via the group's official station, Radio Andalus.

Ali Dhere said the group's target was a Turkish convoy and security forces at the city's busy Ex-Control junction. 

"On Saturday, the Mujahedeen executed an attack at Ex-Control, targeting an enemy Turkish convoy and the militias who were guarding them," he said. "It hit the convoy and inflicted heavy losses on the Turks and the apostate militias who were protecting them."

The al-Shabab spokesman admitted civilians were killed in the explosion. While he said he regretted the loss of civilian lives, he also justified it, saying, "Protecting religion comes before saving a life."

Read more: https://www.voanews.com/africa/al-shabab-claims-responsibility-deadly-bombing-somali-capital