Homeland Security Network Blog
The information source for first responders.
Germany Update: More than 50 people were injured when the driver mowed down a carnival crowd
More than 50 people were injured when the driver of a silver Mercedes mowed down a carnival crowd in Germany
by Rhea Mahbubani
- At least 52 people were hurt when the driver of a silver Mercedes station wagon drove into a carnival procession in Volkmarsen, Germany, on Monday.
- Eighteen children who were celebrating Rose Monday have been injured and 35 people are still in hospital, police say.
- A 29-year-old German man has been arrested in connection with the attack, but a motive is still unknown since police have been unable to interview him since he too was injured.
- Volker Bouffier, the leader of Hesse, the state in which Volkmarsen is located, said he was "shocked at the terrible act."
- This attack comes on the heels of a far-right mass shooting that left nine people dead in Hanau, Germany, on February 19.