Homeland Security Network Blog

The information source for first responders.

  • Home
    Home This is where you can find all the blog posts throughout the site.
  • Categories
    Categories Displays a list of categories from this blog.
  • Archives
    Archives Contains a list of blog posts that were created previously.
Posted by on in Terrorism
  • Font size: Larger Smaller
  • Hits: 478
  • Print

US releases photos to bolster claim Iran attacked tankers as 1,000 additional troops to be sent to Middle East

b2ap3_thumbnail_Screenshot_2019-06-18-US-releases-photos-to-bolster-claim-Iran-attacked-tankers-as-1000-additional-troops-to-be-sent-to-Mi..png

Military Times

US releases photos to bolster claim Iran attacked tankers as 1,000 additional troops to be sent to Middle East

By Lolita C. Baldor, The Associated Press  

WASHINGTON — In an effort to bolster its public case against Iran, the Pentagon on Monday released new photos that officials said show that members of Tehran’s Revolutionary Guard were responsible for attacks last week on two oil tankers near the Persian Gulf.

The images, many taken from a Navy helicopter, show what the Pentagon said were Iranian forces removing an unexploded mine from the side of the Japanese-owned Kokuka Courageous oil tanker in the Gulf of Oman.

Officials last week said the move appeared to be an attempt to remove forensic evidence from the scene of the attack. But it's not clear if examination of the mine would have made it definitively clear that the device was planted by the IRGC.

b2ap3_thumbnail_Screenshot_2019-06-18-US-releases-photos-to-bolster-claim-Iran-attacked-tankers-as-1000-additional-troops-to-be-sent-to-Mi..png

Other photos show a large hole on the side of the Courageous, above the water line, that officials say appears to have been caused by another similar mine.

Read more: https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2019/06/17/us-releases-photos-to-bolster-claim-iran-attacked-tankers/