Homeland Security Network Blog

The information source for first responders.

  • Home
    Home This is where you can find all the blog posts throughout the site.
  • Categories
    Categories Displays a list of categories from this blog.
  • Archives
    Archives Contains a list of blog posts that were created previously.
Posted by on in Terrorism
  • Font size: Larger Smaller
  • Hits: 383
  • Print

IDF calls up reservists as rockets continue to pound Israel

b2ap3_thumbnail_idf-2.jpg

Jerusalem Post

IDF calls up reservists as rockets continue to pound Israel

Rocket barrage comes as IDF prepares for possible ground invasion of the Gaza Strip. Plans are to be presented on Thursday to Netanyahu.

By ANNA AHRONHEIM, TZVI JOFFRE

The Israeli military is prepared to continue with its strikes on Hamas and other terror groups in the Gaza Strip for several days and has called up 7,000 reservists as rocket barrages continue to pound central and southern Israel.

Hamas launched suicide drones laden with explosives into Israel on Thursday. At least two exploded in the air somewhere in central Israel. The drone attacks were preceded by the firing of 20-30 long-range rockets at central Israel, including Tel Aviv, and as far south as Eilat. Four people were injured.

A total of 1,600 rockets have been fired towards Israel since Monday, ⅓ of them have fallen inside the Gaza Strip.

The attacks came as the IDF called up reservists serving in artillery, Iron Dome batteries, doctors, paramedics, IAF, intelligence and other combat units. Another Iron Dome battery was also added to those placed around the country.

Combat troops will also not be able to leave their bases and additional ground troops have been redeployed to the border ahead of a possible ground operation, including from the Paratroopers Brigade, Golani Infantry Brigade and 7th Armored Brigade.
 
IDF Spokesperson Brig.-Gen. Hidai Zilberman said that options remain on the table including a ground invasion. The plans will be presented to IDF Chief of Staff Lt.-Gen. Aviv Kohavi and then to the Cabinet for approval later on Thursday.

Speaking to reporters IDF Spokesperson Brig.-Gen. Hidai Zilberman said that the plans are being put together by the Gaza Division and Southern Command and will be then given to Israel’s political echelon for approval.

Full story https://www.jpost.com/arab-israeli-conflict/israeli-ground-offensive-in-gaza-on-table-as-rocket-barrages-continue-668048